The points of articulation of Arabic letters in Tajweed is known as Makhraj, singular and Makhaarij, plural. There are five main points of articulation which coincide with the organs of speech from where the letters emanate from. These five parts are further divided into 17 subsections of actual point of articulation for each letter.
The five parts of speech with number of specific Makhaarij
Part of speech
Meaning Specific Makhraj Letters
1 Al-Khayshum The nasal passage 1 Ghunnah sound
2 Ash-Shafataan The two lips 2 4
3 Al-Lisaan The tongue 10 18
4 Al-Halq The throat 3 6
5 Al-Jawf The chest area 1 3 (Madd = Elongation)
Total Specific Makhraj 17
Next post will be explaining the specific Makhaarij from the parts of speech and the letters that comes from each Makhraj.
Posts in the series....
- The Moon and Sun Letters (حُرُوفُ القَمَرٍِيَّة و الشَّمسِيَّة)
- Hamzatul Wasl – Connecting Hamzah [ ٱ ]
- Tafkheem and Tarqeeq
- Prostration of Recitation
- Saying the Name of Allah (Al-Basmalah)
- Seeking refuge with Allah (Al-Istiaadha)
- Sifaat associated with each of the Arabic letters.
- Explanation of the Sifaat (Characteritistic) of the Arabic letters
- Sifaat – Characteristics of the Arabic letters
- Exact point of articulation of the Arabic letters
- The 17 Specific Makhraj
- The five points of articulation
- Tajweed - Introduction
- Tajweed ul Quran, So far so good